A history of San Francisco that studies change in the postwar urban landscape in relation to the city's queer culture.
Introduction: Exodus on the Eve of Destruction
1. The Changing Sexual Geography of the Waterfront
2. The Birthplace of Modern San Francisco
3. Hanging Out at the Ensign Café
4. A Queer History of 90 Market Street
5. The Demise of the Queer Waterfront
Conclusion: Destruction and Creation
Damon Scott is an assistant professor of geography and American studies at Miami University of Ohio.